segunda-feira, 15 de julho de 2019

Microsoft Windows lost files for no apparent reason explained

These last days, I accidentally step over a very old Windows bug that I had no clue.

While I was tweaking my new installation of Ubuntu 18.04 on my Lenovo U430 laptop, which I changed the original 500GB HDD for a 250GB SSD for better energy and overall performance and to stop the OEM Windows 8.1 install from corrupting my Grub (ie. forcing me to return to M$Win - sneaky peeking on my options every few days).

So on the help pages of the only windows applications that I still use under wine (because there isn't a port yet) I found this, in the new updated version:

"There are two bugs in Windows that give some users trouble. Both bugs relate to Windows hiding the true file name and path of files. Since it is common to use foreign (i.e., third party) files in combination with main application, this can cause confusion.

To circumvent these bugs, please follow the following steps. First, in Windows Explorer, goto to folder options, view, and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types.'

Second, on Vista or Windows 7 turn off User Account Control(UAC). UAC can cause the path of files to be different depending on which application is used to view the directory.

This breaks the fundamental paradigm of storing files in a computer by name.  

Is it is strongly recommended that you disable UAC. Otherwise it might appear that you have lost files for no apparent reason."

So there we have it!

Thank you God and bless Linus Torvalds, who has made Linux a true freedom of choice option, with no hidden buggy traps!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário